Friday, September 5, 2014

The Last 5 Years



Last night, as I watched the sunset over Mission Bay, I held a baby. A “4 month in 5 days” old baby to be exact—an age Chaunzay can rattle off without the slightest pause for thought. (Who is Chaunzay? If you look back over our last blogs, you can find him mentioned on Feb 23, 2010 in this section….“Our friends feel as though they have been our friends forever, and it's only when we tell a story that no one else remembers except Ciara and I, do we realize we have only known them a few months.”)

This baby, I called Bugle for 9 months as the world awaited to know his name. This baby, I waited patiently(ish) to meet as his mommy bravely entered a C-section where they had to remove his head from her ribcage. This baby, the first born of my very best friend.

Kyran and I were out on Jenny’s porch in the evening, both quietly staring out over the water in the distance as we waited for Jen to get out of the shower. As I stood there, Kyran’s chest against mine, I had a flood of thoughts of the future….

…What will it feel like to hold a baby of my own? When will I hold a baby of my own? Is the family situation right for me yet? Can I balance career and kid? Will my next move be the right move? What does my future hold?...

When Jenny joined us out on the porch, I tried to put into words the tornado of thoughts freshly swirling in my head. Halfway into my 1st sentence:

 “I just want to know what life has in store for me when….”

Jenny laughs. I stopped.

“What?”
“It’s just funny.” She responded. “We have had this exact same conversation so many different times in our lives.”


Yes we have.

That moment shifted from dreams of the future to a rush of memories of the past. We realized that exactly 5 years ago, we were on our epic road trip across the country to our new, uncertain, yet fully welcome home in California.

So now of course, Jen and I had to revisit our blogs from our fantastic 2009.

We spent a couple of hours laughing through each of the adventures we had; gasping at some of the forgotten details; giggling at the purposefully extracted stories; cracking up at some of the foolishly naïve thoughts our 22-year-old selves had. (i.e. “Ciara and I were then headed to a Russian party downtown at this place called The Church.” … A Russian party? Seriously? Were we joking or did we not know that Svedka and Stoli mean vodka, and just called it a Russian party, ‘cause those words sound Russian, right?)

As we reminisced, I was so delighted that Jenny had taken the time to write out all of our adventures. Shortly after our road trip, my computer crashed, and we lost most of our photos and videos. But being able to read out loud the accounts of the ridiculous times we had, warms my heart a little.

The thing is, while 2009 was a great year for Jenny and I (only half of which we actually blogged about), every memory that we have together is filled with just as many rich and hilarious details. Unfortunately, we don’t have them all down on paper, so we rely on our best compilation of details pieced together from what we each remember.

That works, but now, I want to use this “Adventure Called Life” blog to really record this adventure we are still on… this adventure called life. And oh what an adventure it is.

While out walking around Point Loma yesterday, we talked about how much has changed in the past 5 years:
~Jen says, if you had told 22-year-old, traveling across the country Jenny that in 5 years she would still be in San Diego, building a family with a man she would meet in just a few months, she would have never believed you.
~If you had told 22-year-old, traveling across the country Ciara that in 5 years from now she’d be living in LA, pursuing film, married to Jay, she’d probably be relieved, but she would have missed out on the adventure of getting there.

Life is an adventure. Jenny and I are each learning that more every day. Currently, we are learning this separately more often than together.

As we live 1.75-6 hours away from each other (depending on traffic); as Jenny lives out her dream of a big family while she begins to raise her 1st baby... As I balance on the support of my husband while I chase my dream of filmmaking; as we both dream of that day we get to move back to our home coast, where we understand the people and the stormy humid weather so much better... As we live life... we still find ourselves in these moments where we get together after far too long of a separation, and can’t help but dream together, laugh together, live together.

Wherever life leads us next… whether close together or far apart… we will always have one another to remind us that:

  • It is necessary to lose yourself in a laughing fit.
  • You should go out of your way to meet every stranger you pass.
  • You should keep a steady combination of our two phone numbers any chance you meet a creep, so you can repeat the fake number back to said creep with ease.
  • You should do things that would make Sarah Kelly get frustrated over, and die laughing at, at the same time.
  • You should live boldly; love passionately; be a shining example of Christ in all things; and never, ever stop having fun!

So now, after many attempts to remember our blogs password, some excellent sleuthing over 5 old email addresses, and SUCCESS!... here is to many more blog posts, both together and separately, that we can look back on over life, and smile at together!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing! It's only been 5 years...... But just think what 5 or 10 mores years will bring!

    ReplyDelete